Monday, August 19, 2013

Meal Plan Monday: Cleaning Out the Pantry

I am generally one to have a fairly large stockpile in my pantry. Which is good when money gets tight.

Except it's been tight. For 3 months. And I'm starting to understand how old mother hubbard feels!

That may be a little dramatic. The options and quantities are certainly smaller now, but I still managed to pull together a meal plan almost completely from the pantry. It's going to require a lot of baking, which I'd rather avoid in August, but our bellies shall be full.

Monday
B: pancakes and canned oranges
L: carrot cake and GF zucchinni brownies
D: twice baked potatoes

Tuesday
B: oatmeal or cereal
L: leftovers
D: spaghetti, garlic biscuits and GF apple pie

Wednesday
B: eggs and bacon
L: PB&J with applesauce
D: macarroni and cheese for the kids and I'll eat leftovers

Thursday
B: oatmeal or cereal
L: GF pumpkin bread
D: yams, chicken and mixed veggies

Friday
B: eggs
L: zucchinni burgers and sweet potato fries
D: leftovers

Saturday
B: pancakes
L: tuna and crackers
D: left overs and/or eggs

Sunday
B: cereal
L: PB&J with applesauce
D: pot roast with carrots and potatoes

Next week will be even more interesting. Heck, until I get another job things will be interesting.

This week I'll share my new favorite carrot cake recipe. I started with this one. I tried not to laugh at the word healthy in the name. I what I ended up doing was more like this...

4 eggs

1 cup applesauce

1/2 cup white sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

2 cups whole wheat flour

2 teaspoons baking soda

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

2 teaspoons nutmeg

1 teaspoon ginger

1 teaspoon cloves

4 cups grated carrots

1 cup chopped walnuts

Mix it all up. Bake at 350° for 45 minuets. Once cool top with your favorite cream cheese icing.

Join me the rest of the week for...

Tuesday stewardship

Wednesday back to school

Thursday simplicity (and my room!)

Friday health care vs. sick care

Saturday waste not, want not

No comments:

Post a Comment