Saturday, August 17, 2013

Fall garden

First of all, did anyone else notice.that I'm clearly struggling with my days of the week? Now back to the real originally scheduled blog post for today.

I had lofty dreams for my fall garden. Carrots and potatoes to over winter. Spinach, kale and broccoli. All in cold frames to extend the growing season.

Then I discovered the reality that is my garden bed. It's plauged with crab grass, red clover and an ugly rubbery ground cover.  I've pulled and pulled and pulled, but they keep coming back and choking out my plants.

I have come to a decision I don't like. I'm going spray it down with chemical herbac:ide and mulch it heavily for the winter. I won't use that bed again until 2015. I know some people will see no reason to wait that long and others will me appauled I'd even resort to this.

I've made my choice for the long term usability of the garden.

Over the fall and winter I will still be gardening, just differently than planned.

I will be working on my herb pots in the kitchen window.

I'll be trying my hand at an off season potato tower on my porch.

Expeiramemting with what edibles grow well indoors for us.

Hopefully I'll also be able to build at least one mini greenhouse over a small bed out back.

There will be plenty to keep me going and many ideas to attempt to see what works for us! Plus, during the fall and winter, I can work on my spring/summer garden plan!!

I'm dissapointed that year round gardening is going to have to wait a bit, but I'm hopeful to have more success with that garden bed after this since I will not longer be battling those noxious weeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment