Saturday, February 9, 2013

A $2 Difference

All too often I hear people say that they want to make a difference, but they don't have the time, money, talents, knowledge, resources or whatever they think it is they need to make a difference in the lives of those around them.
 
Truth is, making a difference is not about grand gestures, huge actions or large donations. Those things are great and always appreciated, but making a difference has far more to do with small choices you and I make every day. You never know what small choice you make is going to impact someone either.
 
Tonight I made a small choice. It made a visible difference for someone. It only cost me $2 and 3 words.
 
Being as tomorrow is Sunday and as it is we're rarely on time for church, I stopped at the gas station to make sure we had enough gas to get to church. I decided to say the scary words "fill it" which is always a bit scary.
 
$78
 
Deep breath and remind myself that at least I have $78 to fill my tank, God is good to me. As I'm thinking this I pull 4 twenty dollar bills out of my wallet and hand them to the attendent. I've watched him from the comfort of my warm van, running from pump to pump helping impatient people who have all been rude to him while he works in the cold, rain and wind to pump their gas. I remind myself it's a thankless job, we rely on them but don't appreciate them.
 
When I let go of those 4 bills, I smiled at this weary looking man. "Keep the change."
 
He looked stunned. After confiming I was sure, he smiled and thanked me before dashing off to help another car.
 
$2 and 3 words.
 
That's all it took to make a difference. I didn't end world hunger or cure cancer. I did remind a man that he is appreciated. I did spread kindness. I did show my chidren that small, selfless acts can bring a smile to someones face.
 
Stop waiting for some grand moment to make a difference.
Make a difference RIGHT NOW.
 
Open your eyes and ears. See and hear the world around you! We live in a world of hurting, broken people. There are 100 chances every day to make a difference right where you are, with exactly what God gave you.

No comments:

Post a Comment